About Shigakkan

Overview

The history of Shigakkan can be traced back to Chukyo Sewing Girls’ School, founded by Tamae Naiki in 1905 with an aim to enhance the economic independence and social status of women. Chukyo Girls’ High School was established as an annex in 1921, and the unique educational program focusing on housekeeping and physical exercise made the institution the pioneer in female teacher education in the Chukyo region.
The educational philosophy of the institution was inherited by the Chukyo Women’s Junior College and Chukyo Women’s University, which were inaugurated in 1950 and 1963, respectively. They produced several Olympic medalists in wrestling and became highly acclaimed in the field of physical education. In 2010, the institutes were renamed Shigakkan University and Shigakkan University Junior College and opened their doors as coeducational institutions.
Shigakkan’s educational philosophy is ”Capacity Building for Global Citizenship”, which encompasses 5 different areas: ”Wellness”, ”Intellectual Insight”, ”Social Ability”, ”Self Development”, and ”Effective Citizenship”. We place importance on providing thorough education to equip the students with both knowledge and “practical skills.” Our objective is to foster students with independent ideas, the energy to take action, and challenging spirit.
Today, the tendencies toward low birth rate and aging, globalization, and advanced information society are increasing more rapidly. All of us engaged in the field of education must strive to meet the needs of the times and fulfill the responsibility forward society. Therefore, Shigakkan University will continue to move forward, “challenge,” and “grow together” with the students.

History of Our University

1905 Chukyo Sewing Girls’ School founded.
1914 Chukyo Sewing Girls’ School Normal School Course established as an annex.
1919 Naiki Gakuen (incorporated foundation) established.
1921 Chukyo Girls' High School established as an annex.
1922 Chukyo Girls' High School Housekeeping and Physical Exercise Course established as an annex.
1942 Chukyo Girls' High School Housekeeping and Sewing Course established as an annex.
1944 Chukyo Sewing Girls’ School renamed Chukyo Jitsugyo School.
1947 Chukyo Girls' Junior High School inaugurated (new system).
1948 Chukyo Women’s High School inaugurated.
1950 Department of Physical Education and Home Economics, Chukyo Women's Junior College inaugurated.
1951 Received approval for incorporation under the name Naiki Gakuen Educational Foundation.
1963 Faculty (Department) of Physical Education, Chukyo Women's University inaugurated.
1964 Chukyo Women's Junior College renamed Chukyo Women's University Junior College.
1965 Faculty of Home Economics (Department of Food Science, Department of Child studies), Chukyo Women's University inaugurated.
Chukyo Women’s University Kindergarten inaugurated.
1967 Chukyo Women’s High School Commerce Course inaugurated.
1977 Corporate head office and high school moved to Higashi-ku, Nagoya.
1978 Evening course system at Chukyo Girls' Junior High School and Chukyo Women’s High School discontinued.
School renamed Chukyo Women's University Attached High School.
1979 Sports Science Research Institute and Juvenile Culture Research Institute established.
Corporate name changed to Chukyo Women's University Educational Foundation.
1983 Construction of Chukyo Women's University Communication Center (library) completed.
1986 Construction of Chukyo Women's University Sports Science Center (gymnasium) completed.
1987 Communication Research Institute inaugurated.
1988 Communication Research Institute renamed Date Communication Research Institute.
Department of Home Economics, Chukyo Women's University Junior College renamed Department of Human Life and Science.
1990 Lifelong Learning Research Institute inaugurated.
Sports Science Research Institute renamed Wellness Research Institute.
1992 Master of Wellness, Graduate School of Wellness, Chukyo Women's University inaugurated.
1993 Juvenile Culture Research Institute renamed Child Culture Research Institute.
1994 Asian Culture Research Institute inaugurated.
1995 Faculty of Wellness (Department of Sports and Fitness, Department of Nutrition), and Faculty of Humanities (Department of Child Studies, Department of Asian Studies) inaugurated.
1998 Graduate School of Wellness became co-ed.
2001 Construction of Chukyo Women's University Nutrition Building completed.
2003 Department of Asian Cultural Studies renamed Department of Asian Studies.
2005 Chukyo Women's University Educational Foundation celebrates 100 years since our school was founded.
Chukyo Women's University Attached High School renamed Shigakukan High School, and became co-ed.
2008 Department of Human Life and Science, Chukyo Women's University Junior College discontinued.
2009 Department of Athletic Trainer Advanced Course, Chukyo Women's University Junior College inaugurated.
Construction of Chukyo Women's University baseball stadium and multi-purpose athletic field completed.
2010 Corporate name changed to Educational Foundation Shigakkan.
Chukyo Women's University Graduate School, Chukyo Women's University, and Chukyo Women's University Junior College renamed Shigakkan University Graduate School, Shigakkan University, and Shigakkan University Junior College.
Reorganized into Faculty of Wellness (Department of Sports and Fitness, Department of Nutrition and Department of Health and Education for Child), Shigakkan University, and became co-ed.
Chukyo Women’s University Kindergarten renamed Shigakkan University Kindergarten.
2012 Construction of Shigakkan University “Gakkan Hall” completed.
2013 Faculty of Humanities (Department of Child Studies, Department of Asian Studies), Shigakkan University discontinued.

Profiles for Attached and Sister Schools

page
top